Re: Micro Manager

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009, Johan Henriksson wrote:

  http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/imaging.html#micromanager

Please verify that the information is correct and reflects the current
state of our knowledge.  I would like to discuss two questions:
this is correct

Thanks.

  1. Is there a chance to make reasonable packages from the
     free parts and leave the non-free part at a separate place.
this is possible. unfortunately the majority, or at least the
interesting parts, happen to be non-free. so it's not really worth the
effort at this point.

:-(
It's a shame but I trust your insight into this topic.

  2. Anybody willing to ask upstream to clean up their licenses?
you can't imagine how much pressure we are putting on the responsible
companies. unfortunately their IP lawyers haven't given up yet. they
want to make sure the control codes are not given out. some of the
hardware has to be reverse engineered (I have only signed one NDA to
keep my hands clean for other vendors). still, they have softened up
plenty over the years. if new buyers require open source drivers, we'll
win. money talks.

Perhaps somebody from the Debian Med project might be able to
increase the preasure from "an additional side".  If we might be
able to establish Debian Med as some "instance for software in
medical care" we might gain some more weight - at least this is
the plan ...