Re: dentist software - open source and healthcare

Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 12:10:59PM +0100, David Paleino wrote:
>

>>> http://code.google.com/p/gnudental/
>>>
>> From that page:
>>
>> Project members:
>>  federik.carlier, linuxninja39, mikemee, mmaglis, fromhell091, d.paleino
>>                                                                ^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> So yes -- actually I also had a d.paleino@gnudental.org account, but go check
>> what gnudental.org is today pointing to... seems like the project died alone. :/

excuse me for placing the question here but it seems there is plenty of
competence here :) I've considered adding DICOM support to my imaging
software (www.endrov.net, not ready for packaging yet). which would be
the best java DICOM backend I can plug in (ie actively developed and
source is not a disaster)?

but more interesting - how can open source be properly implemented in
healthcare? how does certification work and is it needed? what *is* used
right now? is DICOM enough or will HL7 be needed? to me the
specification looks sort of like a disaster since it 100% dictates the
design, so I don't even see a point in having multiple implementations
of it.

I don't work in the clinic so it would be nice to get inside contacts.
if I just implement something without a test case it would be crap.

/Johan

Johan Henriksson
MSc Engineering
PhD student, Karolinska Institutet