Re: RFC: packaging layout for Odin (was: Re: Status of ODIN, VISTA and friends)

On Fri, 9 Jan 2009, David Paleino wrote:

libodindata1, libodindata-dev, libodindata1-dbg
libodinpara1, libodinpara-dev, libodinpara1-dbg
libodinqt1, libodinqt-dev, libodinqt1-dbg
libodinseq1, libodinseq-dev, libodinseq1-dbg
libtjutils1, libtjutils-dev, libtjutils1-dbg

(only the libraries, they sum up to 15 packages -- and yes, the -dbg ones are
IMHO needed, we don't want our non-developer-users to recompile stuff on their
own, right?)

Well, what about

   libodin1 containing *.so
   libodin-dev containing *.a and *.h
   libodin-dbg (I'm not really convinced, perhaps you are doing some
                work which is of really rare use, but I would leave
                the decision to you)

IMHO these 2 (3) packages might do vor the moment if every single
library is not really huge and does not really different things.

$ ls ../bin/
gencoil      gensample  micalc  miview  odinreco       pulsar
genmakefile  geoedit    miconv  odin    odintestsuite  swab
$

These might go into a single "odin" package, if you agree.

Yes.

Then there is /usr/share/doc/odin/:

$ tree
.
`-- doc
   `-- odin
       |-- coils
       |   |-- Array8Channel.coi
       |   `-- radialInhomogen.coi
       |-- samples
       |   |-- brain_128x128.smp
       |   |-- disk_128x128.smp
       |   |-- frequency_dist.smp
       |   |-- point_spread_function.smp
       |   `-- qualityPhantom_128x128.smp
       `-- sequences
           |-- odinepi.cpp
           |-- odinfisp.cpp
           |-- odingrech.cpp
           |-- odinmdeft.cpp
           |-- odinonep.cpp
           |-- odinpilot.cpp
           |-- odinquant.cpp
           |-- odinrare.cpp
           |-- odinrefg.cpp
           |-- odinspir.cpp
           |-- odinswi.cpp
           |-- tj_bgmes.cpp
           |-- tj_messer.cpp
           `-- tj_verve.cpp
$

Hmm, *.cpp sounds rather like 'examples' than 'sequences' ...

It's a total of 1,6M, so we can decide to have an extra single "odin-doc"
package (I thought at odin-samples, odin-coils and odin-sequences, but those
are just examples, so IMHO not worth having their own separated packages)

Just move examples to the -dev package if they are not to large.

Total: 17 packages from a single source. Now, this isn't really a problem, but
the problem arises whether or not those libraries are intended for "public
use", or they are internal to odin. If they are just internal, I could make a
libodin1 package, adding proper lintian overrides, and put them into a
subdirectory of /usr/lib/ (/u/l/odin/ would be best).

I would suport this idea.

Also, it is possible that
they all are internal but libtjutils -- in this case I'd do libodin1 and
libtjutils1.

I would ask upstream about the role of the libraries.

Obviously, I'm compiling it without libvista support -- but we'd still have a
rather useful package in the repositories, and we can always recompile it and
upload a new revision, when vista will be ready (-- if ever).

It sounds reasonable to support what really exists and add other stuff later.

Time, CPU cycles and heating permitting, I will try to recompile everything and
make those 17 packages.

Good luck