Re: Better l10n for CDDs

On Fri, 6 Jun 2008, David Paleino wrote:

Probably they're faster to load -- but they would be dynamically
generated -- i.e. the scripts would generate $num_langs pages instead of just
one.

Yes, shure.  But the generation of num_lang pages happens once per cron job
(twice a day) while dynamical scripts will be calculated x times where
x is unknown and will increase over time (hopefully ;-)).

If you see the source code for that page, there's really nothing "active" in
it. PHP is server-side, and the client knows nothing about what's going on, if
we're using gettext() or any other $foo technology to get our strings.
If "your" static pages have the same exact resulting code from the "current"
PHP page, I bet your filter will annoy you again.

Please try the following [1]:

1) open up http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/ (or any other page showing the
progress bar);
2) save the resulting page as .html locally

Well, I think this will not work this way.  The page is most probably
changed "somehow" - it even got a new URL with the ID of the content
filter.  I admit, I have neither time nor motivation to debug this in
detail.

If that works like I'm thinking now, your filter should complain on the static
page as well.

If this would really happen I would start debugging it - as I said, I
see other advantages in static pages.

Not needing PHP might be an advantage -- but I still believe you'll have
problems nevertheless.

You have always trouble if you have no handle to fix all problems in
the environment you are depending on.

[1] I've done the same, and the page I saved is /david.html. Please try that,
if you want to see directly what I mean.

This page is loaded immediately. I expect that there is some client-server-communication involved which is invisible on the page
that is finally saved by your browser.  My PHP knowledge is nearly
zero - so I have no idea at all what might cause this hassle.