Re: Package "ownership" per team, and the use of `mr' to handle this.

On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 12:44:00 +0100, Steffen Moeller wrote:

> Hello,
>
> it is nice to have a thread to which everyone can contribute something.
>
> > Argh, git! :)
> > Ok, that would probably mean some learning period for me. I'm currently
> > using SVN for all my personal projects, and am not really comfortable
> > learning git -- but hey, everyone's using that, kernel hackers are using
> > that, we are going to use that, it *must* have something good :)
>
> I just went through using git for a local project (and registered for a git
> repository on berlios.de for the moment we are going to publish about it). If
> you have used bazaar before, the migration seems straightforward. But I am
> using only its basic functionality, as it seems.

I'm currently using bzr for bash-completion (on Alioth -- just because we
wanted the Ubuntu guys to join in, but they didn't) -- but we're using it as a
"classic" VCS, i.e. in a "centralized" fashion (we're not using it as a DVCS)

> The other side is that my contribution to pkg-boinc (as little as it was) has
> come to a complete standstill since its migration to git. Just something has
> not worked the way I thought it would work and I was too busy since to digest
> everything properly ... there are other ways I can contribute to the
> community more efficiently.

I fear that, since my contribution to Debian-Med is mostly focused on the
general infrastructure, I won't be able to contribute any more. And, well, a
centralized VCS is best to me, because, let's say, we can have {pre,post}commit
hooks, and so on. Setting up a post-commit hook on bzr was a nightmare (and, it
works just for me, because each commiter must set up his own hook...).

I believe that, for what we're having now for our infrastructure (i.e.
website/scripts/pos/policy update on commit), SVN is the best choice. You could
argue that we could split packages from community/, but that's not an option
IMHO.

> svn I consider sufficient for now, as long as we don't experience any larger
> complexity of our projects.

/me too.

> The "community" folder is more of a concern to me.

What do you mean?

> Concerning reorganisation, it may be helpful to have some package flocking
> together a bit more. For instance, my mgltools packages I have combined into
> one big subfolder. The perl packages could go into one, too (bioperl,
> bioperl-run, ... and dependencies like gbrowse for instance).  But this is
> nothing we need to discuss at large, I'd say, the individual (active)
> maintainers should just be given the freedom to prepare such subfolders when
> they see their suite of software to be represented properly that way.

I believe what you're proposing would break tools like svn-buildpackage -- it
expects some "layouts" like:

package/{trunk,tags,branches}
{trunk,tags,branches}/package
<I can't remember the third now, maybe on the manpage?>

I believe that re-organizing the repo as {trunk,tags,branches}/package would
let us scale a bit further -- who just wants the code can checkout trunk/*,
anyone else can checkout *.

Obviously all just IMHO,
David

--