Re: Package "ownership" per team, and the use of `mr' to handle this.

Hello,

it is nice to have a thread to which everyone can contribute something.

> Argh, git! :)
> Ok, that would probably mean some learning period for me. I'm currently using
> SVN for all my personal projects, and am not really comfortable learning git --
> but hey, everyone's using that, kernel hackers are using that, we are going to
> use that, it *must* have something good :)

I just went through using git for a local project (and registered for a git repository on
berlios.de for the moment we are going to publish about it). If you have used bazaar
before, the migration seems straightforward. But I am using only its basic functionality,
as it seems.

The other side is that my contribution to pkg-boinc (as little as it was) has come to a
complete standstill since its migration to git. Just something has not worked the way I
thought it would work and I was too busy since to digest everything properly ... there are
other ways I can contribute to the community more efficiently.

svn I consider sufficient for now, as long as we don't experience any larger complexity of
our projects. The "community" folder is more of a concern to me. Concerning
reorganisation, it may be helpful to have some package flocking together a bit more. For
instance, my mgltools packages I have combined into one big subfolder. The perl packages
could go into one, too (bioperl, bioperl-run, ... and dependencies like gbrowse for
instance).  But this is nothing we need to discuss at large, I'd say, the individual
(active) maintainers should just be given the freedom to prepare such subfolders when they
see their suite of software to be represented properly that way.

Best,

Steffen