Re: Amazon public data

Le Fri, Dec 05, 2008 at 05:46:44PM +0100, Steffen Moeller a écrit :

> Slashdot just pointed me to Amazon's service of preparing public data
> for the cloud's direct access. A bright move by the EC2 folks, I'd say.
> They think about genomes, census data and whatever...and I thought about
> Debian-Med images plus public data.

Hi all, hi Stefen,

this is really exciting! I hope I will have time during my christmas holidays
to investigate a bit further what we can do. In a pilot work, I used getData to
create a .deb containing the dog genome indexed for BLAST and uploaded on
Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) together with a Packages.gz file so that in
theory APT can be used to install the files in an instance that has the correct
sources.list. But I did not yet manage to figure out how to make a Debian Med
instance from scratch…

Amazon public data may make things easier, but by providing debianized
preformatted databases, we can factorize a lot of computation.

I hope that we can manage to do something useful to people. Many things that
have to do with human health are so quiclky patented and proprietarized that if
we manage to help people to do personnal genomics for cheap, we will actually
provide them a lot of freedom.

(and our med-bio package will better bridge the BIOinformatics with the MEDical
part :)

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy