Re: Amazon public data

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008, Steffen Moeller wrote:

Slashdot just pointed me to Amazon's service of preparing public data
for the cloud's direct access. A bright move by the EC2 folks, I'd say.
They think about genomes, census data and whatever...and I thought about
Debian-Med images plus public data.

Just some nitpicking because I recently fixed web pages and docs about this:
Please use "Debian Med" (without the '-'). There was some discussion in
the Debian Edu team about the correct spelling and native speakers agreed
that the spelling without dash is correct.  I adopted this for Debian Med
a long time ago and think all strings in the package are now fixed according
to this.  (A recent descussion on debian-l10n-german about the translation
to German leaded me to the conviction that the best translation of
"the Debian Med project" is "das Projekt Debian Med".)

Please make sure that if you somewhere ask for resources to use "Debian Med" -
it might be hard to fix later if you want to get rid of the dash.

How would you think about asking them to allow for a Debian-Med image to
be regularly auto-updated as public data? The getData
(http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/debian-med/trunk/community/infrastructure/getData/?rev=0&sc=0)
script could possibly be amended to work either with normal
installations or in the amazon fantasy world. We could thus make use of
communities outside of Debian to prepare data and (possibly) win a few
individuals more for our distribution.

Just go for it if you have the time to do so.