Re: PLEASE HELP WITH CTN (Was: CTN status)

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, Michael Hanke wrote:

You're right -- I'm sorry. I was following the discussion about CTN, but
I'm in the final phase of my PhD project and external forces reduce my
spare time dramatically.

Well, there is no need to soory, just finish your theses.  It might be
reasonable to issue a [VAC]-ation mail to keep people on this list informed
to let us know that we can not really count on you for a certain time span
so we do not need to ping you / wait for you.

Additionally, I will be traveling from next
week till the middle of August and have to wrap some things up in
advance. But anyway, you're right that something has to be done.

Thijs offered to inspect Pablos patch which might probably be a quite
good solution ...

IIRC the situation is this:

 * CTN mysql stuff is broken, since a long time. So, apparently those
   people who have it installed do not need it.

... and there is a patch available.

 * Nothing rdepends on ctn or ctn-dev, except for debian-med meta
   packages or ctn itself.

No, ctsim depends from it.

 * We know that at least dicomnifti and ctsim build-depend on ctn-dev.
   Is there a qick way (similar to `apt-cache rdepends ctn-dev`) to
   determines additional build-rdeps?

Not that I know of - but imho the redepends of ctn are a good sign
for build-dependencies from ctn-dev.

 * At least one individual offered to work on fixing the mysql stuff
   (don't have URL handy now, but it was posted recently).

I just commited the patch to SVN.

 * Popcon ctn: approx. 120 since about one year (much less before)
          ctn-dev: just a few machines
 * CTN is dead upstream.

We have several packages which are dead upstream ...

I have no clue what ctn as a whole can do and I have never touched the
database parts. If nobody else steps up, I'd offer to strip ctn down to
the pieces required by other packages (ctsim and dicomnifti). The will
probably lead to a minimal libctn-dev package.

Is this something we agree on?

At least I think you should keep on your PhD work and we will be looking
foreward about your imaging work once you are back again ...