Re: join list

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008, willhill wrote:

By "Debian grade" I mean all of the below.  All of my stuff is student work
and I imagine that others have done it better.  The best way to find out,  is
to jump on your list and ask.  I have some simple photon transport and CT
codes.  They use libgd, fftw and a couple of others that were in the Debian
repositories.  They served my purpose and I did not see other packages at the
time.

Well, if your software has a DFSG free license and does some useful stuff
for a wider audience than one person in a specific lab it is worth integrating
into Debian.  I admit we have some code that is unmaintained, outdated, with
missing upstream - but used by some Debian users anyway - so we try to fix
and maintain it at best.  This situation is much worse than something that
is written by a student who is working on the code and might release
enhanced versions in the near future.  So there is no need to be shy.

Only obtaining from the description I think your projects would fit
into the physics category very well.  So if you are able to build
Debian packages from your projects we would welcome you to join the
Debian-Med Alioth crew and enable you to commit to SVN.  This would
be the easiest way to answer possible question you might have about
packaging.

It might be a good idea to read

   http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html

before startting with this.

If there are any remaining questions feel free to ask them on this
mailing list.

Kind regards and thanks for your interest