Re: Packaging Mauve and libClustalW

Le Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 09:48:50AM +0100, Andreas Tille a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I have a great interest to package Mauve[1] which might be needed here
> in the institut.

> TODO for the Debian-Med project:
>  - Contact Mauve authors (because there are no authors mentioned
>    for libClustalW-1.8.4) about copyright.
>    Assuming that the change to GPL is right we have further options.
>  - Package libClustalW-1.8.4 (guessing from the exsitance of autotools
>    this sounds not so hard)
>  - Deciding how to proceed with ClustalW.  Options are:
>    - Verify whether ClustalW might compile using libClustalW-1.8.4
>    - Porting the GUI to libClustalW-1.8.4
>    - Asking libClustalW-1.8.4 to incorporate the GUI
>    - Replacing Clustalw completely by something else (better)

I had a very quick look to the sources, and I am wondering if mauve can
work with muscle instead of clustalw. This would solve the licence
problem. However, it needs a specific patch on Muscle. I can try to
submit it to Muscle's upstream if necessary. Otherwise, it may be
possible to build two different binary packages from the same source
pacakge (like vim or centericq).

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy