Packaging Mauve and libClustalW

Hi,

I have a great interest to package Mauve[1] which might be needed here
in the institut.  I just have edited my local copy of Debian-Med tasks/bio
file in my local repository.  Diving into it I found a page that
describes the build process in very detail[2] and links to a page that
collects the necessary prerequisites[3].

One of these prerequisites is libClustalW and a tarball of this
library is provided under[3].  I downloaded the tarball which says
it is GPLed.  The name close to our ClustalW package made me think
of similarities and in fact there are some,  which on the other hand
leads to some problems.

           libClustalW-1.8.4.tar.gz    clustalw-1.83
License:   GPL                         non-free
AUTHORS:   no information given        Julie D. Thompson,
                                       Desmond G. Higgins,
                                       Toby J. Gibson
Last code
Timestamp  15. November 2006           29. Jan 2003
Source
files                11 files identical (one name change)
                     22 changed (one further name change
           missing here:
             clustalx.c, x*.c,
             *.doc, *_help, *.par
             <others>
           Automake                    several makefiles

The conclusion is that libClustalW-1.8.4 seems to be a continued
development (timestamps) whith unclear license (we might check this)
and parts which are missing (probably the user interface because
it was replaced by "something else in Mauve which is to be verified".

TODO for the Debian-Med project:
 - Contact Mauve authors (because there are no authors mentioned
   for libClustalW-1.8.4) about copyright.
   Assuming that the change to GPL is right we have further options.
 - Package libClustalW-1.8.4 (guessing from the exsitance of autotools
   this sounds not so hard)
 - Deciding how to proceed with ClustalW.  Options are:
   - Verify whether ClustalW might compile using libClustalW-1.8.4
   - Porting the GUI to libClustalW-1.8.4
   - Asking libClustalW-1.8.4 to incorporate the GUI
   - Replacing Clustalw completely by something else (better)

What do you think?

I'll keep you informed about the other dependencies, but it sounds
reasonable to split this up into parts for a better overview in the
discussion.

[1] http://asap.ahabs.wisc.edu/mauve/
[2] http://asap.ahabs.wisc.edu/mauve/mauve-developer-guide/compiling-mauvealigner-from-source.html
[3] http://gel.ahabs.wisc.edu/mauve/source/