Re: RFS: libcomplearn (updated package)

On Tue, 29 May 2007, Rudi Cilibrasi, Ph.D. wrote:

Unfortunately my powerpc mac mini died recently (hard drive crash) and so I have not been able
to test the powerpc version at all.  It may very well work though and should be enabled if so.

It is allways advisable to start with architecture "any" and only replace this
by a list of architectures if serious efforts were done to solve the problem.
A dying powerpc on your site is no reason at all to remove this architecture
from the list - just let the autobuilders do their work and see what happens.

The only two reasons I can remember that I have removed any architectures are as follows:

1) The mips-ish archs have a FTBFS problem related to libpthreads.

This should be sorted out with the porting team or on debian-devel.

2) The 64-bit archs do not support lzmax and ppmdx in particular.  I can't remember if powerpc has lzma or ppmd or not... this might
be the reason or it could simply be an error on my part.  If you have such a machine and it seems to work ok, I would like to know.

I would also contact the porting teams.  They often have a clue how to work
around these problems and you can make upstream happy with patches that enlarge
the number of architectures their software is working on.

Kind regards and thanks for your work on this package