Re: Can somebody sponsor dialign-t

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007, Nelson A. de Oliveira wrote:

Downgraded dialign-t-data to recommends.
apt-get and aptitude will install dialign-t-data together with
dialign-t, unless the user overrides this.

I would disagree with this if dialign-t does not work without dialign-t-data
installed (which is what I understood from Charles explanation).  If
dialign-t _Depends_ from the data we should exactly express this fact and
should not relay on the behaviour of apt-get.  The only excuse to use
Recommends dialign-t-data would be if there would be another package
say dialign-t-really-important-small-chunk-of-data.  Then the situation
would be

   Package: dialign-t
   Depends: dialign-t-really-important-small-chunk-of-data (= ${source:Version})
   Recommends: dialign-t-data (= ${source:Version})

   Package: dialign-t-data
   Recommends: dialign-t (= ${source:Version})

   Package: dialign-t-really-important-small-chunk-of-data
   Recommends: dialign-t (= ${source:Version})

If a binary package makes no sense without its data package a Depends is
what you want.  Besides the fact is that it is a principle to just express
what you want the fact that backports might terribly fail if you relay
on new apt-get features might convince you.
^
And all the docs are installed together with dialign-t.

+Package: dialign-t-data
+Architecture: all
+Depends: ${misc:Depends}
+Recommends: dialign-t (>= ${source:Version})

Ahh, and I would suggets '=' instead of '>='.  There is probably no guarantee
that higher versions of dialign-t will work with old data packages.  To make
the system consistent I would force same source versions installed.

I have commited the changes on SVN. Consider them as suggestions :-)

I could commit my suggestion as well, but I just wanted to make sure
that we agree about this first.