Re: BioImageSuite distribution problems

Le Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 08:43:57AM +0100, David Paleino a écrit :
> Il giorno Sun, 11 Nov 2007 21:28:58 -0500
> "Xenophon Papademetris" <xenophon.papademetris@yale.edu> ha scritto:
> >
> > The only reason we ask for a username/password is that it is an easy way to
> > track downloads so that we can report back to our sponsors (the NIH in this
> > case) and hence maintain funding for the project. I understand that adding
> > this in Debian will undermine the policy.

Dear Dr Papademetris,

thank you for your prompt answers to David's questions.

I would like to add that the Debian project also has its own user
tracking system. It is a global reporting tool which gives the precise
information about the number of installations of a package, its versions
and frequency of utilisation. As an example, you see the report for the
package ctn:

http://people.debian.org/~igloo/popcon-graphs/index.php?packages=ctn

While this metric will under-estimate the total number of users, I hope
that it can be used in your grant reports to compensate for the decrease
of downloads. More importantly, as you can see on the graph we are
currently gaining users, so we believe that you can benefit from having
your software distributed in Debian.

Best regards,

--
Charles Plessy