Re: BioImageSuite distribution problems

Il giorno Sun, 11 Nov 2007 21:28:58 -0500
"Xenophon Papademetris" <xenophon.papademetris@yale.edu> ha scritto:

> This is certainly not a violation of the GPL. You can sell GPL software
> (e.g. RedHat Enterprise Linux is GPL), so long as you make the source code
> available (which should be made available at reasonable cost -- but not
> necessarily free), so asking for a password (and no money!) is hardly a
> violation.

Sure, I didn't mean a "legal" violation, just moral :)

> There is ** no ** requirement in the GPL that the software is free. (See for
> example the recent mess with Buffalo Terastation and its source code).

Yes, also know that "free software" != "free beer" :)

> The only reason we ask for a username/password is that it is an easy way to
> track downloads so that we can report back to our sponsors (the NIH in this
> case) and hence maintain funding for the project. I understand that adding
> this in Debian will undermine the policy. I would prefer that you do not add
> it -- open source software still costs money/effort and adding this might
> hurt the project more than help it .... and lead you back to commercial
> only image analysis software. Your choice.

Well, Debian users will benefit from your software -- it's your choice whether
you want it added or not, you are the author ;)

> The software is fairly complex and we have a fairly extensive quality control
> (in terms of automated and manual testing) that could not be performed
> off-site and might result in "lesser-quality" versions circulating. There are
> issues with some compilers etc. For this reason, I would prefer to not see
> the software added to Debian.

I strongly believe in Debian's quality-control process, but, again, it's your
choice :(

> > Thirdly, we could not assure that new versions of the software will be
> > packaged. This is due to the name given to the tarball:
> >
> > bioimagesuite_latest_Linux_g++32.tar.gz
>
> This is simply a symbolic link to the actual tar file which contains a
> version number -- dig a little bit deeper on the web page.

I'll look into that.

Probably, the way to distribute bioimagesuite would be adding a binary-only
package in an unofficial repository: Debian policy strictly requires the source
code to be available in its repositories.

Have a nice day,
David

P.S.: please remember CCing debian-med@lists.debian.org in your future replies!

--