Fw: BioImageSuite distribution problems

Inizio messsaggio inviato:

Data: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 21:28:58 -0500
Da: "Xenophon Papademetris" <xenophon.papademetris@yale.edu>
A: "'David Paleino'" <d.paleino@gmail.com>
Cc: "'Hirohito Okuda'" <hirohito.okuda@yale.edu>
Oggetto: RE: BioImageSuite distribution problems

Dear David,

Hi, Thanks for your interest in BioImage Suite.

>> Hi,
>> I'm a Debian maintainer, and am a member of the Debian-Med project. Our
project focuses on bringing medical >> >> software to Debian users.

>> We've come across your software, BioImageSuite. We're still having some
packaging issues (i.e. the "private" >> libraries the tarball carries), but
there are some "minor" ones we could talk about.

>>First of all, it's useless asking for a password to download GPLed
software. I believe it might be a >>"violation" (it may be a harsh term
probably) of the GPL itself (the distribution is not totally "free", but >>
> you must register first).

This is certainly not a violation of the GPL. You can sell GPL software
(e.g. RedHat Enterprise Linux is GPL), so long as you make the source code
available (which should be made available at reasonable cost -- but not
necessarily free), so asking for a password (and no money!) is hardly a
violation. There is ** no ** requirement in the GPL that the software is
free. (See for example the recent mess with Buffalo Terastation and its
source code). Also note that while the code is free, this does not mean that
the software name is "free". For example CentOS -- which we use extensively
-- repackages RHEL from source code but in Centos they replace all the
artwork and references to the word "RedHat", since these are copyrighted.

We are happy to make source code available -- it makes life for many
students/researchers in the field easier and helps them improve their
research productivity.

>>Secondly, distributing this software in Debian will "undermine" your
policy. In fact, Debian carries all the >>source files in its repositories,
thus making your registration-is-needed-policy kinda useless.

The only reason we ask for a username/password is that it is an easy way to
track downloads so that we can report back to our sponsors (the NIH in this
case) and hence maintain funding for the project. I understand that adding
this in Debian will undermine the policy. I would prefer that you do not add
it -- open source software still costs money/effort and adding this might
hurt  the project more than help it .... and lead you back to commercial
only image analysis software. Your choice. The software is fairly complex
and we have a fairly extensive quality control (in terms of automated and
manual testing) that could not be performed off-site and might result in
"lesser-quality" versions circulating. There are issues with some compilers
etc. For this reason, I would prefer to not see the software added to
Debian.

>>Thirdly, we could not assure that new versions of the software will be
packaged. This is due to the name given >>to the tarball:

>>bioimagesuite_latest_Linux_g++32.tar.gz

This is simply a symbolic link to the actual tar file which contains a
version number -- dig a little bit deeper on the web page.

Take care,

Xenios

--
 . ''`.  Debian maintainer | http://snipurl.com/qa_page/