BioImageSuite distribution problems

Hi,
I'm a Debian maintainer, and am a member of the Debian-Med project. Our project
focuses on bringing medical software to Debian users.

We've come across your software, BioImageSuite. We're still having some
packaging issues (i.e. the "private" libraries the tarball carries), but there
are some "minor" ones we could talk about.

First of all, it's useless asking for a password to download GPLed software. I
believe it might be a "violation" (it may be a harsh term probably) of the GPL
itself (the distribution is not totally "free", but you must register first).

Secondly, distributing this software in Debian will "undermine" your policy. In
fact, Debian carries all the source files in its repositories, thus making your
registration-is-needed-policy kinda useless.

Thirdly, we could not assure that new versions of the software will be
packaged. This is due to the name given to the tarball:

bioimagesuite_latest_Linux_g++32.tar.gz

This name, in fact, doesn't contain any version number we can use. In Debian we
have "watch files", which warn us when new versions arrive. It will be
impossible for us to make a proper watch file for your naming scheme. Please
consider using something like:

bioimagesuite-2.0.tar.gz

This will ensure that Debian (and others as well) will have the chance to check
if bioimagesuite is up to date.

Kind regards,
David

--