Re: Some news from the website :)

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007, David Paleino wrote:

(those were "testing" colors though, I'm not that poorly tasted ;) )

Sure - Italy is famous for good taste.  (My son is a really great
fan of everything coming from Italy, but at most from soccer ... ;-))

I've successfully implemented this, take a look :)

This is really great.  We now gained another really good tool.
BTW, on which palce in SVN can I find the code?  I'd like to
mention this in the Merida workshop.

This kind of format is not a problem: I believe it's possible to implement it
in the same Python script. For clarity, I'd put these prospective packages in a
"wnpp" task file, possibly adding a "Task:" field to point to which task they
belong to. This will let me use separate methods for wnpp packages, instead of
using heuristics to determine if it's an available package or a wnpp one.

I'll discuss this idea in the workshop.  Sounds like a reasonable alternative
and there will probably no real package CDD-wnpp - so we could exclude this
easily from the meta package building code.

Well, I'd have to change the Python script again :@

I guess you are not the only one who would be unhappy about such a move.
Just count me in - I would have to rewrite another piece of code that
was not even written by myself and thus I have not even understood it
completely.

I believe that the task files should only mention available packages --
prospective ones should be put into a separate wnpp task.

You have your point here.  On the other hand this will leave out one
advantage I mentioned that we would get the not yet existing packages
in the Suggests list and once they appear the user profit immediately
without uploading a new meta package set.  This would reduce the
maintainance work of meta packages.

P.S.: the update-bugs script now takes a lot of time (about 10 minutes) to
complete (the increased number of packages...) -- SOAP isn't that fast (or
maybe it's SOAPpy's fault) -- but, hey, we're updating that twice a day, I
don't believe it would be a problem to Alioth.

If you ask me - a hourly update is more than apropriate.