Amide [Was: Report from Libre Software Meeting]

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007, Michael Hanke wrote:

A number of people tried to package AMIDE (including myself). The last
attempt was done by Dominique Belhachemi.

Well, I should have read bug #409913 before trying this ... ;-)

http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~domibel/amide/

Seems to be nearly equivalent to my try on this and only by reading
the rules file I think the scrollkeeper issue might have been solved.

Yaroslav Halchenko and I tried to complete the packaging, but we stopped
at some point due to the lack of interest (I guess).

Anyway, we packaged volpack:

http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-exppsy/volpack/?rev=0&sc=0

So would this been ready for sponsoring?  If yes, I could have a
look and move it to the Debian mirror.

But unfortunately discovered that libfame is non-free.
As none of us wanted to maintain another non-free package the whole
process stopped at that point.

Hmmm, non-free is not the right word.  What I found on debian-multimedia
is rather GPLed, but I think there are some patent issues with MPEG stuff.
I just wrote an e-mail to Christian Marillat to enlighten me about the
chances of an official inclusion of the library.  Perhaps it is just about
stripping some code from the codebase (like in the mplayer case) and
leave those parts that provided the needed functionality for amide. It
might also be possible that only a certain functionality of amide is
not available and we just could document this in README.Debian.  Any comments
about this would be welcome.

What about libecat?