Re: Amide [Was: Report from Libre Software Meeting]

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 11:18:38PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jul 2007, Michael Hanke wrote:
<snip>

> >Anyway, we packaged volpack:
> >
> >http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-exppsy/volpack/?rev=0&sc=0
>
> So would this been ready for sponsoring?  If yes, I could have a
> look and move it to the Debian mirror.
It should be in a reasonably good shape. However, I haven't had a look
at it for quite a while. I'd be glad if someone could adopt the
package as I do not have the capabilities to maintain another package
ATM. I'd be willing to co-maintain it, if necessary.

> >But unfortunately discovered that libfame is non-free.
> >As none of us wanted to maintain another non-free package the whole
> >process stopped at that point.
>
> Hmmm, non-free is not the right word.  What I found on debian-multimedia
> is rather GPLed, but I think there are some patent issues with MPEG stuff.
> I just wrote an e-mail to Christian Marillat to enlighten me about the
> chances of an official inclusion of the library.  Perhaps it is just about
> stripping some code from the codebase (like in the mplayer case) and
> leave those parts that provided the needed functionality for amide. It
> might also be possible that only a certain functionality of amide is
> not available and we just could document this in README.Debian.  Any
> comments
> about this would be welcome.
We asked Christian as well and he mentioned a dependency to some
OpenDivx stuff (which is non-free) -- IIRC.

Cheers,

Michael

--
GPG key:  1024D/3144BE0F Michael Hanke