Re: Report from Libre Software Meeting

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 06:02:38PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
<snip>

>      On my train journey back I started packaging amide and my trial
>      is at:
>
>        http://people.debian.org/~tille/packages/amide/
>
>      Weak points of packaging:
>        - I have no idea of scrollkeeper and I doubt that stuff I did
>          here will work - at least the help in the executable does
>          not come up.
>        - There is a really strange packaging issue that one patch is
>          not applied by dpatch.  If you are interested move
>            http://people.debian.org/~tille/packages/amide/debian/patches_not_working/src_Makefile.in.diff
>          to patches (and make sure you are using the original
>          src/Makefile.in from the tarball because I just changed
>          it manually to get rid of the -rpath linking).  So this
>          is kind of a puzzle homework for people interested in
>          packaging.
>        - There seem to be two needed (suggested?) libraries missing
>          in Debian z_matrix_70/libecat and volpack/libvolpack (see
>          README).  Some investigation should be done regards
>            a) How useful amide works without these libs.
>            b) In how far we could need these libs in Debian-Med
>               in general.
>        - The package needs (suggests) libfame which is currently
>          available at debian-multimedia.org but not on official
>          Debian mirror.  Some investigations have to be done in
>          how far this is an issue or whether libfame could be made
>          official.
>
>      I have not yet decided whether I would like to be the official
>      amide maintainer.  We currently have xmedcon and thus I regard
>      finishing gnumed-server packages more important and will do this
>      first, but perhaps somebody wants to step in because most of the
>      work of packaging seems to be done - perhaps some questions
>      on debian-devel or debian-mentors will solve the
A number of people tried to package AMIDE (including myself). The last
attempt was done by Dominique Belhachemi.

http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~domibel/amide/

Yaroslav Halchenko and I tried to complete the packaging, but we stopped
at some point due to the lack of interest (I guess).

Anyway, we packaged volpack:

http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-exppsy/volpack/?rev=0&sc=0

But unfortunately discovered that libfame is non-free.
As none of us wanted to maintain another non-free package the whole
process stopped at that point.

Cheers,

Michael

--