Re: Medical Ubuntu Project

Dear Andreas.

Thanks for your comments.
I was talking with Dr. Menini, Project Director of SaluX and he will subscribe to this list. He could bring us a more detailed information about SaluX. We are interesting in work in collaboration, of course.

Basically we are three physicians working in SaluX, no more for now. So, we are very agree with share with the list our project and exchange information and know-how for a better distribution. We are agree with the main idea of Custom Deabian Distributions.

There are a small live CD called SaluX Desktop 0.3.5.1 based on Slax, with the only purpose to show people (in Argentina and other related regional countries) how SaluX GUI could be. This live CD was made by Alberto and me, in a little time at my home. There are no medical apps in this CD, because the really strong development is SaluX server based on debian. Why do we use Slax for the live CD? Just only because it is simple to configure and create an iso and we don't have great experience in build live CD iso from debian.

You can see a little note and screenshots about Salux Live CD in Softpedia.

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/Operating-Systems/Linux-Distributions/Salux-13054.shtml

If you want to download the live CD, go to:

http://www.syrsys.com.ar/salux

Greetings,
JR

2006/9/11, Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de>:
On Sun, 10 Sep 2006, Dr. Jorge R. Rodriguez wrote:

> Our group is
> working on a Medical version of GNU/Linux, for public hospitals, based on
> debian kernel, called SaluX. So we think that we could join efforts to make
> an exchange between groups for a better product.

This is really good news for our Debian-Med project.  At current stage
Debian-Med is more or less a loose collection of medical related software
inside Debian.  I would be more than happy if we could draw this into
a more practical direction as a "product" that can be used in medical
care.  I don't know whether you know the idea of Custom Debian Distributions.
You can read about it in detail at

   http://people.debian.org/~tille/cdd/

> SaluX has all the services of a GNU/Linux server plus terminal server
> capabilities. It was installed in some hospitals in Argentina without any
> problems.

Your system reminds me to the system that was SkoleLinux in the year 2003
before I had my talk at Debian Conference in Oslo

   http://people.debian.org/~tille/talks/200307_oslo_int/

At this time there existed a Debian-Edu project (similar to Debian-Med
for education but more or less orphaned / dead).  In parallel existed
SkoleLinux which was a Debian based product which was able to set up
a school server as terminal server, support for diskless clients
featuring a lot of educational software.  In the end of my talk I
asked Petter Reinholtsen (SkoleLinux technican):

  (me):     Why don't you use Debian-Edu.
  (Petter): Debian-Edu is dead.
  (me):     So become Debian-Edu yourself.

They got the idea and now SkoleLinux and Debian-Edu is more or less
synonym.  They have the big advantage to keep their system up to date
with current Debian all the time because they are a part of Debian.
The main work was to integrate the thinks that where missing in Debian.
This works perfectly because Debian is what we call it a Do-O-Cracy,
which means the people who _DO_ something decide what is finally _DONE_.

So I have no real idea what SaluX is and the English version is not
very verbose (or I missed something on your pages).  But my strong
recommendation for your project is to follow the principle of the
SkoleLinux people which was a really great success.  We have good
technology to set up terminal servers automatically and serving
clients with software.  This installation can be done with only two
entries:

    Select language
    Input root password

everything else is preconfigured.  All these techniques are ready
in Debian and I can assure you if you would investigate some time
to understand how these tools work you will save a large amount of
time for implementing this yourself.  IMHO, your task would be to
find out

    1. What do I need for my system that is not yet included
       in Debian?
    2. If it has a DFSG free license, how can I get it inside
       Debian?

This list is the exact place to get help for this and the Debian-Med
project has the explicite objective to help you here.

> Keep in touch.

I hope so and I hope we could help you to reduce your time in things
that are already done and give you more time for your real work to
develop the medical applications

Jorge Raúl Rodríguez MD
BioLinux Association
Argentina