Re: pkg-eScience - packing Taverna and MyGrid for Debian

On Sat, May 06, 2006 at 12:19:11AM +0200, "Steffen Möller" wrote :

> For Debian the challenge is for one the dissemination of these skills to
> researchers. On a technical level it means the extension of the Java
> packages to those that come distributed as Jar files with the upstream
> sources. The Taverna package is usable already. Its major problem are the
> 3rd party jar files that are distributed with Tavera thus rendering the
> package to be non DFSG-compliant, prohibiting its addition to the main
> distribution.  Another longer term challenge is the eventual integration of
> Debian's bioinformatics packages to extend the MyGrid services available for
> MyGrid today.

Dear Steffen,

There is something I did not understand about Taverna: is it only for
programs written in Java, and do the programs have to be written
explicitely for Taverna?

I have been listing many packages relevant to bioinformatics, and a fair
number are written in Java. If they can be used through Taverna, just
tell me what are the relevant informations you need, and I will submit a
summary.

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianScienceBiology

However, Java is Terra Incognita for me, and I am already busy packaging
multiple alignment software, so I will keep focusing on alignment. This
leads me to a question: you are the maintainer of t-coffee, and the new
release introduces a new tool, m-coffee, that I would like to see in
Debian. If you want to concentrate on you new project, I can submit an
upgrade for t-coffee within one or two months.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2006/04/msg00007.html

Have a nice WeekEnd,

--
Charles Plessy