The directory /usr/lib/firefox/searchplugins contains all the search plugins that will appear oh the search field. If we want to install, for example, a search engine to find things on Pubmed, we can get an already implemented search engine for Pubmed at http://mycroft.mozdev.org/plugins/pubmed.src (I didn't saw any license on this file,

Would anybody volunteer to do some research about the license?

but if it's not allowed to include it on Debian (if we are going to include), we can create a new .scr file as it's not difficult). Also, we need a picture to be displayed on the search box (like Google has a "G"). On our example, it's http://mycroft.mozdev.org/plugins/pubmed.png

IMHO we also would net a license here.  From its location at mozdev.org
I'm optimistic that it is free, but we should verify this.

Perfect. With both files in hand, we just need to install them on /usr/lib/firefox/searchplugins
When Firefox is restarted, we get a new option to choose: NCBI PubMed.

Sounds quite easy.

On Mozilla, we use the same files, but we install them on /usr/lib/mozilla/searchplugins/

We should verify who other searchplugins solve this.  I guess a simple
symlink might do here.

If we are going to include some personalized search engines on Firefox, we just need to get what we need (or create if there is no ready solution) and install on the directories that I said. Simple, right? :-)

Yes. :)

But there is a problem (that I don't know if it's really a problem).
If we install the files on /usr/lib/firefox/searchplugins, the search engines will be available to all users on the system, even those that are not on the "med" group.

No.  This is not really a problem.  I was missleaded by my assumption
that these settings are local users settings.  I can't see any harm
if non-med users will see some extra search engines.

I don't know how we can limit the search engines to be listed only on users from the group med... :-/

I see no reason to put much effort into this.

I think that there is no problem in installing the search engine to all users, since it will be included on a CDD, right?

Exactly.

A package that installs search engines related with our area would be nice! :-D

I only wonder if installing some small files are worth of creating an
extra package.  I wonder if we could add these files to a reasonable
package.  Biofox comes into mind - but I'm not sure whether it makes
really sense.  If we find no reasonable package we could even put it
as extra workload to a reasonable (whatever "reasonable" means here)
med-* package.

If there is something that I can help on this, you can count with me.

Thanks for your effort, Nelson.