Re: Preconfiguration of Firefox

Hi!

Andreas Tille wrote:

>> example, a search engine to find things on Pubmed, we can get an
>> already implemented search engine for Pubmed at
>> http://mycroft.mozdev.org/plugins/pubmed.src (I didn't saw any
>> license on this file,
>

> Would anybody volunteer to do some research about the license?

I have subscribed to Mycroft mailing list and I will ask about the
licenses of the plugins, as soon as the moderator approves my
subscription request.

> IMHO we also would net a license here. From its location at
> mozdev.org I'm optimistic that it is free, but we should verify
> this.

I will check that.

>> On Mozilla, we use the same files, but we install them on
>> /usr/lib/mozilla/searchplugins/
>

> We should verify who other searchplugins solve this. I guess a
> simple symlink might do here.

Exactly. We will have the plugin available for Firefox and for
Mozilla. We will install on one directory and create links on another.

>> A package that installs search engines related with our area
>> would be nice! :-D
>

> I only wonder if installing some small files are worth of creating
> an extra package. I wonder if we could add these files to a
> reasonable package. Biofox comes into mind - but I'm not sure
> whether it makes really sense. If we find no reasonable package we
> could even put it as extra workload to a reasonable (whatever
> "reasonable" means here) med-* package.

First I will see the license. Then, I will see wich plugins we can use
and send a list of plugins to the our list.
Based on the number of plugins, we can see if we would need a new
package or if we can adapt an existing one.

I also saw that it's possible to request search plugins to the Mycroft
project, so we can ask for some plugins that aren't available (for
example, we have a biological database that can be searched on a
webpage, but there is no plugin available to Firefox/Mozilla. We can
ask for such plugin).

When I have more news I will inform you.

Regards,
Nelson