Re: ITK debian packages

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006, Steve M. Robbins wrote:

First thing lintian noticed is the CVS directories in the source.  I
pulled the upstream source distribution and noticed them in there,
too.  Weird.  I'd suggest putting the following into debian/rules
clean target:

	find . -name CVS -print 0 | xargs -0 rm -rf

IMHO, this will not really help.  Lintian is criticising the source
package and thus removing the CVS directories from the unpackaged
build directory will not really help.  If I'm not completely wrong
you have to build a new orig.tar.gz file to avoid these warnings.

Next, there's no manpage for cableidx.

Somebody has to write it (and suggest it as patch to upstream).

Finally, there's an unusual packaging scheme with a bunch
of stuff under /usr/lib/CableSwig including a "bin" and "share"
directories.  These should be fixed.

Well, the bin directory is fine if there are some executable binaries
that are called by a wrapper script from /usr/bin.  The share directory
should go to
        /usr/share/cableswig

It looks like cableswig comes bundled with gccxml.  There's already
been a request to package gcc-xml (http://bugs.debian.org/189927).  Is
the gccxml bundled with cableswig unmodified and usable as-is?  If so,
presumably it should be split out, package separately, and cableswig
should simply depend or build-depend upon it.

Definitely.

Thoughts?

Thanks for your investigation into this.  Please note that all my comments
are not based on a personal look into the packaging just comments to your
notes.