Re: [Announce] Debian packages of ITK 1.6.0 now available

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, Gavin Baker wrote:

> Hopefully very little.  They should be lintian clean, and conform to
> policy.
It would be good if you would file an ITP bug for ITK and Cableswig.
Then we could close this bug by a sponsored upload.

> There are a few other packages to add to those (sample
> applications and docs) but the core runtime and dev packages are
> certainly usable right now (as I have been doing development with them).
Please make sure that also other people will be able to use the
package.  If these examples and docs are necessary for operation
please provide them as well.

> Well, the packages work and probably only need some minor tweaks to be
> ready.  It would be great to get them into the archive; I just haven't
> chased that up.
OK, what about these "minor tweaks"?

> The packages are currently at 1.6.0, but there have been many important
> fixes go in to CVS since that release.  Unfortunately the CVS release is
> not ABI-compatible with 1.6.0.  Add to that a new release is scheduled
> for sometime in August, so the best avenue is not necessarily clear.
Well, we are in the process of stabelizing and thus I would strongly
vote for keeping a stable version.  I'm not sure whether an additional
unstable release really would help people.

> I'm thinking maybe a CVS release with a different soversion might be the
> best way to go (for now to go into the archive), then a formal release
> once 1.8 goes gold.  Thoughts?
If you ask me, just release now 1.6 and once 1.8 is finished replace it
by the new version.