Re: [Announce] Debian packages of ITK 1.6.0 now available

On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 18:57, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Gavin Baker wrote:
>
> > The packages are available for installation via apt-get (or direct download)
> > from the unofficial package repository:
> >
> >     http://mentors.debian.net/
> Well, these packages are now sitting at
>
>     http://mentors.debian.net/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/insighttoolkit
>
> since february this year.  I do not really remember the state and what might
> stop them from propagating to the Debian archive.

Hopefully very little.  They should be lintian clean, and conform to
policy.  There are a few other packages to add to those (sample
applications and docs) but the core runtime and dev packages are
certainly usable right now (as I have been doing development with them).

> Please update my mind and I might care for sponsoring them in this week.
> I'll be at LSM in Bordeaux where usually is a plenty of hacking time in the
> evening hours which would be a good time to care for such stuff.

Well, the packages work and probably only need some minor tweaks to be
ready.  It would be great to get them into the archive; I just haven't
chased that up.

The packages are currently at 1.6.0, but there have been many important
fixes go in to CVS since that release.  Unfortunately the CVS release is
not ABI-compatible with 1.6.0.  Add to that a new release is scheduled
for sometime in August, so the best avenue is not necessarily clear.

I'm thinking maybe a CVS release with a different soversion might be the
best way to go (for now to go into the archive), then a formal release
once 1.8 goes gold.  Thoughts?

  :: Gavin

--
Gavin Baker // gavinb*antonym_org // Linux|Python|Esperanto|MIDI|Cheese