Re: [ANNOUNCE] Insight Toolkit 1.2 for Debian (unofficial)

On Fri, 2003-06-06 at 13:08, Maitland Bottoms wrote:
> As your humblle VTK maintainer, let me join in on this thread....

Hi Maitland! :)  Your timing is impeccable...

> ITK packaged. Cool. I'll take a closer look RSN.
>
> Upstream not doing sonames is an issue for both ITK and VTK. I confess
> that I am at the edge of my competence with sonames as it is. If there
> is someone who can effectively lobby for upstream soname engineering,
> that would be a good project.  It may take some hacking on CMake to
> get CMake to emit nicely sonamed libraries. The soname relinking done
> in the VTK package is a gross hack.

Yes, CMake seriously needs to get soname support.  Now that I have been
through the process of doing it all manually,and munging the generated
makefiles, I might even take a stab at it.

FWIW, I wrote a little Perl script that fixes up the CMake-generated
makefiles, and changes the link flags of any shared libraries to use
sonames with a supplied version.  Feel free to snarf it; it means you
don't have to manually edit a relink script with each upstream release.

> During a big IRC discussion I was persuaded to spin the VTK
> .orig.tar.gz without the Patented directory. Since then I have had
> unrealized dreams of creating a Debian .diff that would magically
> build VTK with Marching Cubes if the .diif got applied to the upstream
> tarbell that included the Patented directory. Anyone up to that
> challenge?

Hmmm... yes, this is an interesting problem.  Since the original source
does include the patented code, there is a legal question over the
implications of including it in Debian even as source.  Have you
discussed this on debian-legal?  AFAIK, in this case you only need a
license if you are distributing a commercial application, so having the
patented source in the repository probably isn't an issue.  It would be
worth asking the Kitware folk about this though.  Certainly, if the
patented dir _was_ in the .orig source, it would be far easier to
package the patented libs (in non-free for example).

> A bug was filed when I made the Debian buildd machines upload
> regression test results to the Kitware Dart system. It would be cool
> to have Debian light up the ITK Dashboard, but it will take some
> coordination with the buildd admins first.

Yes, that would certainly be good to have.  Do you mean you have already
achieved this with VTK?

  :: Gavin

--
Gavin Baker // gavinb*antonym_org // Linux|Python|Esperanto|MIDI|Cheese