Re: [ANNOUNCE] Insight Toolkit 1.2 for Debian (unofficial)

As your humblle VTK maintainer, let me join in on this thread....

ITK packaged. Cool. I'll take a closer look RSN.

Upstream not doing sonames is an issue for both ITK and VTK. I confess
that I am at the edge of my competence with sonames as it is. If there
is someone who can effectively lobby for upstream soname engineering,
that would be a good project.  It may take some hacking on CMake to
get CMake to emit nicely sonamed libraries. The soname relinking done
in the VTK package is a gross hack.

During a big IRC discussion I was persuaded to spin the VTK
.orig.tar.gz without the Patented directory. Since then I have had
unrealized dreams of creating a Debian .diff that would magically
build VTK with Marching Cubes if the .diif got applied to the upstream
tarbell that included the Patented directory. Anyone up to that
challenge?

A bug was filed when I made the Debian buildd machines upload
regression test results to the Kitware Dart system. It would be cool
to have Debian light up the ITK Dashboard, but it will take some
coordination with the buildd admins first.

-Maitland