Re: OIO debian, Re: dang zpsycopgDA problem

On Sat, 20 Apr 2002, Andrew Ho wrote:

>   It seems that the typical approach is to make a Debian package separate
> from other packages (e.g. Redhat). In this case, the OIO Debian package
> will not contain psycopg, Zope, PostgreSQL, etc.
>   Are there examples of packages that work for both Debian and
> Mandrake/Redhat?
In general you could use 'alien' to convert deb <-> rpm.  Success may
vary whether it works or not.  In general Debian follows a very strict policy
which is not the case for different RPM-based distributions.  There are tools
which are able to build both package formats from one source and one
set of scripts but I never tested them.

In the case of OIO I really hope that all these prerequisites exist on
any modern distribution as separate packages - but I did not checked.