Re: OIO debian, Re: dang zpsycopgDA problem

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, Andrew Ho wrote:

> >       apt-get install zope-psycopgda
>
> Andreas (and Steve),
>
>   Does this work now? If so, then the next step is to make "apt-get oio"
> work :-).
Mentioning a project at the Debian-Med project pages declares this as a
task of Debian-Med ;-).

> > on a fresh Debian install and it will install all prerequisites (including
> > PostgreSQL and Zope if not installed yet).
>
> Really? This is great!
Hmmm.  It's no real news for me that Debian is great ... ;-))

> > We do not talk about Potato here.
>
> o.k., if apt-get install oio works, then it does not matter whether it is
> woody or potato.
An apt-get install oio will never work on potato - because the oio package
will not go into the stable potato distribution.  Whether apt-get install oio
would work on woody depends how we would hurry up to build this package -
I doubt anything will be finished before Woody is released as stable.  (I
have to prepare two talks this week and Woody will be released "soon".)

So the final traget for oio will be Woody+1 (which does not necessarily
mean that it would not work on woody - but we do not guarantee it) as
well as all the other projects are a target for woody+1 ... as time
permits.

The fastest way for upstream authors to include a project is:

    - Clearly stated DFSG free license easy to find on their homepage
    - Detailed installation instructions which are easily to be applied
      to the package building process.  It could be split up into those
      parts:

       1. preinst script (mostly not necessary)
       2. move files inside deb-package into the file system
          (these files has to be moved to a temporary directory while
           building the Debian package)
       3. postinst script (in the case of OIO I guess it has to restart
          Zope)

I also hope that we could convince upstream authors to package their
software themselves (while we would give all technical support to build
a package right!!) because they know their software best.  Those who
hesitate to install Debian on their box I would like to have them a
deeper look at Debian.  I'm sure people who worked with Linux for a
longer time will like it.  For sure it is by no means necessary to
go this far it would just speed up the process because we have a very
limited set of volunteers who do the job in their spare time ...