Re: OIO debian, Re: dang zpsycopgDA problem

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Andrew Ho wrote:

>   You are missing the psycopgmodule.so file that contains the psycopg
> module. If you compile psycopg, the output of the compilation is this
> file. This file should be in zope/lib/python2.1/site-package if you are
> using the Python that comes with Zope (and you are running Zope 2.4+).
> Zope 2.3 series uses python1.5.
Hmm, I do not really know about what you are talking.  I run the current
testing system (codename Woody) which will become the official Debian 3.0
in a not very long time (well the Debian term for time scales is: It will
be released when it is ready.  ;-)) ).

Testing contains Zope 2.5.0 and psycopg  1.0.3  (you have to install
the package zope-psycopgda to use it with zope).  I did not have any
problem accessing PostgreSQL within Zope with this combination.

>   Compiling and installing the Zope-to-Postgresql adaptor is currently the
> hardest part of the "from source code" OIO system installation.
You do not need to do that.  Just do an

      apt-get install zope-psycopgda

on a fresh Debian install and it will install all prerequisites (including
PostgreSQL and Zope if not installed yet).

> Fortunately, we include a pre-compiled version with the OIO distribution.
>From the Debian point of view this is a bad idea. We would like to use
the Debian packaged copy because this is the target of possible bugs.
Having a separate version of the same program would be very confusing.

> I just uploaded a snapshot of current OIO-1.0.0 tree to
> http://www.TxOutcome.Org/download/oio.zip. It contains a precompiled
> version of psycopg module but the install script has not been tested on a
> debian system.
Installing a package on a Debian system means that the maintainer has to
do a deep look at your install script, check whether it will be useful for
packaging (well to build a package you have to install to a temporary
directory from which the package is builded) and write scripts which
have to be done before/after installation and before/after removal of
the package.  This might include creation of PostgreSQL tables, users etc
and so perhaps your script has to be split up into parts (one for copying
the files to the right place inside the package another for the preparation
of the local system).

The user does not have to do anything with this process.  He just has to
do

         apt-get install oio

If this does not work the maintainer has to care about bugs ...
This do we understand as "Integration into Debian".  I do not speak
about it would be installable to /usr/local.  In Debian we really do
not care about /usr/local installs.  They work or work not as on other
distributions.

> You should know that there is a debian package (potato) available from the
> psycopg site (http://initd.org/Software/psycopg)!!! I have not tried this
> but seems a good idea if you are building OIO-debian package.
We do not talk about Potato here.  Debian-Med is currently a development
project.  Our release target will by Woody+1.  There are some med-*
packages inside Woddy, but this is no real project.  Once we have something
to release we would possibly have a need for debian-med-users list to
give support for users of Debian-Med.

>   Andreas Tille expressed interest in packaging OIO for debian a few
> months ago.
This is true as long as my time scale permits.  Currently I'm busy writing
web pages and preparing talks.  I hope I can go back to packaging soon.

> On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, Steven Vitale wrote:
>
> > Hey Andrew,
> > Thanks for coming out for the talk, it was great having you here.  I
> > thought you might have seen this problem before, it's go me stumped...
> > I had it on my freebsd installation, and now on my debian linux install
> > (which i hope to get a deb version of OIO for you out of)
> > here's the error:
As I said above:  Try woody.  Somebody who managed FreeBSD would have
enough knowledge to work around the really view flaws in this stage
called "testing".  We are near stable and need some testers for upgrades.
Just upgrade to testing and try

          apt-get install zope-psycopgda

To make sure that there are no conflicts between OIOs psycopgda I suggest
to remove it.