HEADS UP: enigmail to be EOL'd by the end of week

On 2019-01-22 15:21:19, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> On Tue 2019-01-22 14:44:50 -0500, Antoine Beaupré wrote:
>> I'm not sure we should remove *both* enigmail and thunderbird from
>> jessie. I understand there are problems with the a.m.o version, but then
>> that's somewhat outside of scope of LTS. It would seem rather unfair for
>> users of thunderbird that do *not* use enigmail to have their favorite
>> email client yanked away from them because a third-party plugin fails to
>> be maintainer correctly.
>>
>> Right now I'm leaning towards completely dropping support from Enigmail
>> in jessie, since the changes required are too far ranging to be
>> comfortable.
>
> I've yet to hear a specific concern about a known failure that derives
> from the backporting work that anarcat did.
>
> I know of several concrete failures that will result from users of
> Jessie pulling enigmail from a.m.o.
>
> telling jessie users that they should pull from a.m.o. is effectively
> doing them a disservice, if they think they're being supported.
>
> If i was responsible for maintaining jessie, i'd prefer to go the route
> of the backported fixes, but i don't have the capacity to spend a lot of
> time on jessie itself, so i guess my preferences should be weighed
> accordingly.

So I understand where you're coming from. As you suggested, however, I
feel I should give more weight to my LTS and security team members in
this specific case. If this was just enigmail and gpg, I would
definitely defer to you as you are a core maintainer of those packages.

The update touches much more than the gpg toolchain. I don't feel
comfortable spending more time testing the repercussions of the change
throughout the ever expending dependencies of gcrypt.

So I will look at sending a EOL announcement on the mailing list soon,
and do the required debian-security-support changes as well, unless
someone objects by the end of the week. It's too bad all this work will
get lost, but I don't have the energy to push this one against the tide
anymore. And if someone would or could have picked it up, they would
have done so already.

The best course, at this point, seems to let this die already.

A.

--
The greatest crimes in the world are not committed by people breaking
the rules but by people following the rules. It's people who follow