Re: proposed removal of Enigmail from jessie/LTS

On Tue 2019-01-22 14:44:50 -0500, Antoine Beaupré wrote:
> I'm not sure we should remove *both* enigmail and thunderbird from
> jessie. I understand there are problems with the a.m.o version, but then
> that's somewhat outside of scope of LTS. It would seem rather unfair for
> users of thunderbird that do *not* use enigmail to have their favorite
> email client yanked away from them because a third-party plugin fails to
> be maintainer correctly.
>
> Right now I'm leaning towards completely dropping support from Enigmail
> in jessie, since the changes required are too far ranging to be
> comfortable.

I've yet to hear a specific concern about a known failure that derives
from the backporting work that anarcat did.

I know of several concrete failures that will result from users of
Jessie pulling enigmail from a.m.o.

telling jessie users that they should pull from a.m.o. is effectively
doing them a disservice, if they think they're being supported.

If i was responsible for maintaining jessie, i'd prefer to go the route
of the backported fixes, but i don't have the capacity to spend a lot of
time on jessie itself, so i guess my preferences should be weighed
accordingly.

         --dkg