Re: MySQL 5.5 EOL before Debian 8 LTS ends

Hi Emilio,

thanks for bringing up this issue on the LTS list.

On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 10:49:57AM +0100, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
> MySQL 5.5 should be EOL this month if nothing has changed, although I don't see
> an announcement on [1] yet. Maybe it will be published next month when the next
> CPU (critical patch update) is released. Norvald, do you know if 5.5 is
> effectively EOL already? Or will it receive another update next month?

[Norvald replied, saying that 5.5.62 in October was the last 5.5
release.]

> Also note that mariadb 10.0 is EOL in three months[2].

I think this rules out mariadb 10.0 as a sensible upgrade path here.
(Also, switching from mysql to mariadb in an LTS security upload???)

> I don't think it makes much sense to upload mysql-5.6, since stretch has no
> mysql at all. Since users will have to migrate to MariaDB anyway (or to
> externally provided MySQL packages if they so choose), they can do so now.

following that logic they could also upgrade to Stretch now... :)

> For mariadb 10.0, we may be able to backport important security fixes, or we
> could backport 10.1 which will be supported upstream until October 2020.
>
> I would lean towards one of those last two options.

I think I'm rather *leaning* towards mysql-5.6 or declaring mysql-5.5
unsupported/EOL in jessie, but that's really leaning, nothing more.
(And then I believe mysql-5.6 in jessie isnt simple/feasable neither, so... :/

Other comments/suggestions?

--
cheers,
	Holger