Re: MySQL 5.5 EOL before Debian 8 LTS ends

Hi,

On 22/05/2018 07:10, Lars Tangvald wrote:

>> On 19.05.18 20:41, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
>>> jessie ships mysql-5.5 and mariadb-10.0. Given that stretch no longer ships
>>> mysql but only mariadb, we could just let mysql-5.5 go end of life, mark it as
>>> unsupported (or drop the server part), and keep supporting mariadb-10.0. Users
>>> will need to move to mariadb at some point anyway. The only problem is that
>>> mariadb-10.0 goes EOL on March 2019. mariadb-10.1 is EOL on October 2020, so if
>>> we decided to provide that in jessie that would be enough.
>>
>> There are packages in jessie that depend on mysql (or libmysql), not on
>> mariadb.
>>
>> IMHO If it's possible to migrate to mysql-5.6 and later from mysql-5.6 to
>> stretch, it would be a better alternative than deprecate it.
>>
> If we can agree on this, I can work on updating the packaging (we did have 5.6
> in sid at one point, but would need to check that it didn't have any big changes).
>
> Otto: MariaDB 10.1 supports migration from MySQL 5.6, right? This would be
> important for users later upgrading to Stretch.

MySQL 5.5 should be EOL this month if nothing has changed, although I don't see
an announcement on [1] yet. Maybe it will be published next month when the next
CPU (critical patch update) is released. Norvald, do you know if 5.5 is
effectively EOL already? Or will it receive another update next month?

Also note that mariadb 10.0 is EOL in three months[2].

I don't think it makes much sense to upload mysql-5.6, since stretch has no
mysql at all. Since users will have to migrate to MariaDB anyway (or to
externally provided MySQL packages if they so choose), they can do so now.

For mariadb 10.0, we may be able to backport important security fixes, or we
could backport 10.1 which will be supported upstream until October 2020.

I would lean towards one of those last two options.

Cheers,
Emilio

[1] https://www.mysql.com/support/eol-notice.html
[2] https://mariadb.org/about/maintenance-policy/