Re: Removal of 'arm64' from debian-security repo breaks community projects

On Thu, 16 Aug 2018, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 10:52:51AM +0100, Lee Jones wrote:
> >Good morning Debian LTS/Security Team(s),
> >
> >It has come to my attention that 'arm64' support was recently removed
> >from the debian-security repo [1].  After reading your announcement
> >[2] from June 1st it is clear that this is not a bug, but a deliberate
> >action/decision made by your good selves.  Could I ask you to please
> >reconsider your position?  This action breaks many community
> >projects, seen most clearly on the Docker Hub builder [3] where the
> >majority of the yellow (unstable) builds are the ones based on
> >Jessie.  In these cases Docker Build's 'RUN' command will result in
> >failure after an error return from `apt update`.
> >
> >If you still decide that supporting 'arm64' as LTS is not the way to
> >go, is there any way you could simply not update the repo, rather than
> >totally removing it?  This will ensure that the many community
> >projects based on Jessie will at least keep working, even if they are
> >no longer contain the latest and greatest security fixes.
> >
> >Any help would be gratefully received.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply.

> I'm guessing that the list of LTS architectures for Debian 8 (Jessie)
> was just copied over from Debian 7 (Wheezy), and nobody thought to
> check it or update it. arm64 didn't exist at all in Jessie, so was
> simply overlooked here.
>
> I'm hoping it shouldn't be too hard to add arm64 into the list.

That sounds promising.

> However, we *really* should push people to update their software usage
> more frequently than this. Jessie was released more than 3 years ago,
> and even with LTS support I wouldn't recommend sticking there for
> arm64. Lots of fixes and updates won't flow back that far.

Yes of course.  We can work with many of the projects to move over,
but for now I really wish that so many community projects didn't just
stop working with little/no warning.

Is there anything else I need to do in order to encourage/expedite LTS
adoption for ARM64?

--
Lee Jones [李琼斯]
Linaro Services Technical Lead