Re: Wheezy LTS - apt error with recent apache2 update - monit issue?

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 01:52:55PM +0100, Alastair Sherringham wrote:
> Thanks Jan. If I upgrade to stable, I think I'd do a clean install and
> try and avoind this type of cruft building up and causing issues down
> the line. I'll need to do some minor testing/planning before though.

You could probably avoid the re-install route by looking at the output
of 'dpkg -l |grep ^rc'.

That will show you the packages that have been removed but that still
have configuration files on the system.  Sometimes the left over
maintainer scripts and init scripts that belong to un-purged packages
cause the problems you are seeing.  You could look at the packages in
the list and decide if you need to back up the configurations and then
purge them completely.

Regards,

-Roberto

--