Re: Supporting armel/armhf in wheezy-lts

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 09:44:43AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 18 Apr 2016, Guido Günther wrote:
> > I assume the level of sponsorship offered is reasonable to support an
> > arm port?
>
> Yes, I believe so. They will join as gold sponsor.
>
> > I still wonder how we could would make it simpler to have this
> > support end up at the right places (i.e. LTS gets the sponsorship while
> > other teams like release team, security team also have additional work)?
>
> What additional work are you referring to specifically?
>
> The security and release teams are no longer involved in the LTS part of
> the work.
>
> That said if other teams believe that they have extra-work to support
> the LTS initiative, I'm entirely open to the idea of funding persons
> outside of the LTS team provided that they work benefit the LTS project
> and provided that they follow the same rules of transparency and
> accountability. With possibly extra-caution like a check with
> other members on their team that none opposes to the paid work and
> that nobody else would want to do the same work in their free time.

We're fixing quiet some issues in Wheezy either via the security team or
the release team. All of the work is reviewed by members of these teams.

This is work that might not have happened if we weren't to support
Wheezy.

Also the switch from wheezy on security master will probably involve
ftpmaster / security team time.

> > It seems the raspberry pi foundation removed the wheezy based raspbian
> > from the download page but I wonder if we should reach out to them since
> > I assume there are lots of arm based devices still running wheezy and
> > they would certainly benefit from arm support (although they have to
> > recompile). Does anybody have any contacts there?
>
> What would you ask to the raspberry pi foundation?

If they want to join as sponsors.

Cheers,
 -- Guido