Re: teaching people to ignore warnings is bad (Re: Archive of squeeze-lts ?)

Hi,

Am 25.03.2016 um 00:26 schrieb Holger Levsen:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 07:26:22PM +0100, Markus Koschany wrote:
>> squeeze-lts has been archived on archive.debian.org. The warning is
>> valid and it reminds people that the support for Squeeze has ended.
>>
>> If you want to ignore this warning you can use the following apt-get option:
> [...]
>> However Alexander is absolutely right, our recommendation is to upgrade
>> to a supported version either Wheezy or Jessie.
>
> I'm really not sure that teaching people to ignore apt warnings is the
> best way to tell them that they need to upgrade. IMO this is mixing two
> topics, in a bad way.

That was surely not my intention and I think I made it clear what the
best course of action is. This is rather misinterpreting my intent. I
also don't see any harm in mentioning (not teaching, not recommending)
an apt option which is well documented in man apt.conf. Everyone should
know that to ignore warnings may have consequences. Nevertheless
everyone should also have the right to evaluate this for oneself.

> At least I would have appreciated if the signing key would have been
> valid a bit longer, maybe 2-4 weeks, so people have some more time to
> safely do upgrades.

That's a good suggestion and we should keep that in mind and talk to the
ftp team next time. I will document this as an improvement suggestion on
https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/Development, if there are no objections.

> For announcing that people should upgrade we do have several channels,
> be it mailinglists or our bits of Debian news blog as well as
> www.debian.org.

I think we meticulously announced this at least twice

https://www.debian.org/News/2016/20160212
https://lists.debian.org/debian-lts-announce/2016/03/msg00000.html

and we have already announced the EOL date for Wheezy-LTS. What else can
we do?

> Also, we moved the suite from ftp.d.o to archive.d.o, so people do need
> to change their sources.list… this alone should also make it clear
> enough that squeeze is, well, archived.

Right.

Regards,

Markus