teaching people to ignore warnings is bad (Re: Archive of squeeze-lts ?)

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 07:26:22PM +0100, Markus Koschany wrote:
> squeeze-lts has been archived on archive.debian.org. The warning is
> valid and it reminds people that the support for Squeeze has ended.
>
> If you want to ignore this warning you can use the following apt-get option:
[...]
> However Alexander is absolutely right, our recommendation is to upgrade
> to a supported version either Wheezy or Jessie.

I'm really not sure that teaching people to ignore apt warnings is the
best way to tell them that they need to upgrade. IMO this is mixing two
topics, in a bad way.

At least I would have appreciated if the signing key would have been
valid a bit longer, maybe 2-4 weeks, so people have some more time to
safely do upgrades.

For announcing that people should upgrade we do have several channels,
be it mailinglists or our bits of Debian news blog as well as
www.debian.org.

Also, we moved the suite from ftp.d.o to archive.d.o, so people do need
to change their sources.list… this alone should also make it clear
enough that squeeze is, well, archived.

Maybe something to reconsider for when wheezy will be archived…

--
cheers,
	Holger