Re: wheezy-security to wheezy-lts transition

Hi Adam,
On Sat, Feb 20, 2016 at 02:27:27PM +0000, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> [apologies to anyone who's ended up with three copies of this; the
> original got eaten due to a misconfiguration on my side - please only
>
> Hi,
>
> As I understand it, the plan is for wheezy-lts to re-use
> security.d.o:wheezy/updates directly, rather than a separate suite on
> ftp-master. Is that correct?

I think so. See

    https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=prep-wheezy-lts;users=debian-lts@lists.debian.org

> If so then we need to consider how the transition works in the short
> term. For example, the final point release of oldstable occurs after
> security support ceases, so that we can fold in as many of the remaining
> packages from the security archive as possible, including those that
> failed to build on some architectures originally - it would be confusing
> if we ended up pulling in any packages that were actually from
> wheezy-lts, or even having those appear in oldstable-new.

What would that involve? A flag day when the usual uploads to s.d.o for
wheezy stop and the point release is made? Or can we just stop
forwarding packages to oldstable-new at that day and that point release
can happen at a later date while the LTS uploads to s.d.o already start?

The planned date for wheezy LTS to start is 26th of April:

    https://wiki.debian.org/LTS

Cheers,
 -- Guido