Re: The content of /etc/apt/sources.list

On Sat, 2015-05-23 at 09:21 +0200, Miroslav Skoric wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Probably after some faulty misconfiguration I lost some lines in
> /etc/apt/sources.list so I am not sure now what is the proper content of
> it. In fact, I started to use squeeze a couple of years ago by
> installing the first ten CDs of its release 6.0.1a and by time upgraded
> to 6.0.10 and at some points I also added backports and squeeze-lts to
> the sources list. However I am not sure now if the system is updated
> properly, so would appreciate advices on the most appropriate content of
> /etc/apt/sources.list

See
<https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/Using#Add_squeeze-lts_to_your_sources.list>.

> Secondly, having in mind that squeeze-lts will be retired next February,
> I've been thinking on upgrading this comp to wheezy. The main issue is
> that is an old box (Celeron II 400 MHz, 224 meg RAM, most of the
> internal cards are ISA, etc), so I wonder if it would accept the
> upgrade. According to some websites, it seems that should be possible,
> however I would like to hear advices on that. This machine is primarily
> used as a firewall-router for the other two comps in the home LAN, and
> it has an ISA dial-up modem Zoltrix and USB wifi connectivity on it,
> Xfce, icedove, etc. All of that works with squeeze-lts although as
> expected the comp is pretty slow. I wonder if upgrading to wheezy (or
> wheezy-lts if available) would be feasible here, or I should look for
> other options. Thank you.

I don't see why it wouldn't still work, though it's likely to run slower
again.  Maybe time for new hardware?

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
If more than one person is responsible for a bug, no one is at fault.