Re: The content of /etc/apt/sources.list

On 23.05.15 09:21, Miroslav Skoric wrote:
Probably after some faulty misconfiguration I lost some lines in
/etc/apt/sources.list so I am not sure now what is the proper content of it. In fact, I started to use squeeze a couple of years ago by installing the first ten CDs of its release 6.0.1a and by time upgraded to 6.0.10 and at some points I also added backports and squeeze-lts to the sources list. However I am not sure now if the system is updated properly, so would appreciate advices on the most appropriate content of /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
deb-src http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free

deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main contrib non-free

deb ftp://security.debian.org/debian-security/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src ftp:/security.debian.org/debian-security/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free

deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-lts main contrib non-free
deb-src http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-lts main contrib non-free

Secondly, having in mind that squeeze-lts will be retired next February, I've been thinking on upgrading this comp to wheezy. The main issue is that is an old box (Celeron II 400 MHz, 224 meg RAM, most of the internal cards are ISA, etc), so I wonder if it would accept the upgrade. According to some websites, it seems that should be possible, however I would like to hear advices on that. This machine is primarily used as a firewall-router for the other two comps in the home LAN, and it has an ISA dial-up modem Zoltrix and USB wifi connectivity on it, Xfce, icedove, etc. All of that works with squeeze-lts although as expected the comp is pretty slow. I wonder if upgrading to wheezy (or wheezy-lts if available) would be feasible here, or I should look for other options. Thank you.

tried searching for more RAM? there's also some small probability to get
better/faster CPU for the same socket, e.g. Pentium 3.

I'm afraid xfce won't be very fast on such machine, switching to LXDE
_could_ help (not sure tho).

However, if the machine acts as FW/GW, you don't really need X there...
WinError #98652: Operation completed successfully.