Re: Draft for a LTS press release

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 09:18:47PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > If the former, then we should definitely change quite a bit of the
> > wording in paragraph 4 to soften it.
> >
> > If the latter - would a d-d-a posting do instead?
>
> I'm afraid that a d-d-a posting is not very useful. People who are on
> d-d-a already know about Debian LTS and are already well engaged in the
> community.
>
> We are trying to reach our (corporate) users more than our current
> contributors.

Ah, ok :)

> What kind of changes do you envision? Why is it a problem to combine
> an announce and a call for help?

Diff attached! There's not a particular problem, I was trying to work
out the audience. We can me more blunt with developers than in an
official announcement from the project.

Neil
Almost a year after the birth of the Debian Long Term Support (LTS)
project[1], Squeeze-LTS can be considered a [-reasonable-] success. Thanks go to
the many volunteers and sponsors! Debian 6 “Squeeze” has seen more than 200
security uploads since the start of its extended support period. The most
widely used packages have been fixed in a timely fashion and many
organizations can thus safely rely on the continued maintenance of
Squeeze-LTS.

Given this experience, we are confident that Debian 7 “Wheezy” and Debian 8
“Jessie” will benefit from Long Term [-Support as well.

Still,-] {+Support.

However,+} some [-hard choices-] {+restrictions in coverage+} had to be made for Squeeze-LTS. For example, only x86
PCs (amd64 and i386) are supported, and [-many important-] {+a number of popular+} packages are
[-unsupported[2], for instance,-]
{+unsupported[2]. For example,+} you cannot run a Xen dom0 or a KVM host with
Squeeze, and [-you don't have any supported-] {+there isn't support for+} graphical [-browser either. Yet the-] {+browsers. The+}
current team resources are [-barely-] {+only+} enough to keep up with the observed
[-workload.-]
{+workload, and would be unable to extend this further.+}

Thus, if you want Wheezy-LTS to have a better [-coverage,-] {+coverage+} for such use cases and
for less popular packages, please consider helping the Debian LTS team, either
with developer time[3] or with funding[4].

This summer, during DebConf 15 in Heidelberg, the Debian LTS team and the
Debian security team will re-assess the level of support for the project and
will make plans for Wheezy-LTS (Jessie-LTS still has a few years ahead of it).
Now is the time to show your support!