Re: security.debian.org vs debian-lts respository

On 2014-10-08 12:59, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
On 2014-10-04 11:30, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
What about squeeze-updates (formerly volatile)?
Are they still needed?
Are security fixes applied to packages in squeeze or squeeze-updates?

On 04.10.14 12:09, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
That question doesn't make sense. squeeze-updates is a strict subset of squeeze (technically squeeze+o-p-u, until a point release). There are never packages in squeeze-updates which are not also in squeeze+o-p-u.

this is what I wanted to know and what I hoped for...
I think I have already asked about that some time ago.

It's also explained in the dda mail that's linked to from every mail to debian-stable-announce@lists.

(In fact, I'm tempted to clear out squeeze-updates, as all of the packages have now been part of a point release and are thus in squeeze proper.)

there still are versions in security that are lower in main, were they
missed

[re-ordered slightly for ease of reply]

openjdk-6-jre:
[...]
and also others from openjdk-6 family:
openjdk-6-jdk

Those are all the same source package. And, no, they weren't missed.

The openjdk-6 updates were unfortunately not able to be included, as mentioned in https://lists.debian.org/debian-announce/2014/msg00006.html (albeit only by DSA reference).

Specifically, because the openjdk-6 DSA packages for wheezy FTBFS on some architectures, wheezy currently contains 6b27-1.12.5-1. Accepting the squeeze-security packages as part of a point release would have led to oldstable having a higher version of the packages than stable on some architectures, which would be broken.

davfs2:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1.4.6-1.1+squeeze1
  Version table:
     1.4.6-1.1+squeeze1 0
500 http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main amd64 Packages
     1.4.6-1 0
500 http://ftp.sk.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main amd64 Packages

This was also mentioned in the announcement, and again has version-related issues, as described in https://lists.debian.org/debian-security-announce/2014/msg00160.html

Unfortunately that update came too late to allow the situation in wheezy to be resolved before the point release.

... and even the vice versa, seems (left from before last point release?)

postgresql-client:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 8.4.22-0+deb6u1
  Version table:
     8.4.22-0+deb6u1 0
500 http://ftp.sk.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-lts/main amd64 Packages
     8.4.21-0squeeze1 0
500 http://ftp.sk.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main amd64 Packages
     8.4.20-0squeeze1 0
500 http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main amd64 Packages

I'm unsure what you believe the issue is here - 8.4.20-0squeeze1 was a security update, 8.4.21-0squeeze1 was not.

Regards,

Adam