Re: Booting Live-ISO over PXE+HTTP using Grub loopback

On 16 February 2015 at 11:44, Beeblebrox <zaphod@berentweb.com> wrote:
>> So this is casper and not debian-live. While some people here might be
>> familiar with casper it is probably better to ask some Ubuntu folks.
>
> I was trying to get a way to test a live-cd boot. No worries, I'll try with Gparted which displays a message referencing this list re boot problems. Still fails with NIC r8169:
>
> menuentry 'Gparted i386'{
>   set root="http,192.168.2.100"
>   set isofile="gparted-live-0.19.0-beta1-3-i486.iso"
>   loopback loop0 ($root)$isofile
>   linux (loop0)/live/vmlinuz boot=live config noswap noprompt vga=788 toram=filesystem.squashfs verbose noeject showmounts httpfs="http://192.168.2.100/gparted-live-0.19.0-beta1-3-i486.iso";
>   initrd (loop0)/live/initrd.img  }
>
> Can someone provide please
> a) correction to the above or
> b) an alternate live-CD (preferably small) that is known to work for testing on my end. I'd like to confirm at least one working state.

It depends on the gparted iso. ie the version of live-boot they use
and the packages included on the CD.

As you can see from this file:
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/i386/iso-hybrid/debian-live-7.8.0-i386-lxde-desktop.iso.packages
a Debian 7.8 LXDE live iso does not contain httpfs so will not run
directly from web server but might run from memory using wget.

It contains live-boot 3.0.1-1 so
http://live-systems.org/manual/3.x/html/live-manual.en.html#501
probably applies.

>> > I have the i386-lxde-CD-1.iso from 07-2014.
>> This is probably installer iso. My live iso has kernel and initrd in
>> the live/ directory.
>
> OK, but I still have two problems:
> a) Can I use that ISO to install Debian on a laptop by PXE-booting? The installer keeps asking for a CD!
> b) If yes, which "Debian installation manual" do you refer to? This one? http://live.debian.net/manual/3.x/html/live-manual.en.html

https://www.debian.org/distrib/

HTH

Michal