Re: trying to make a wifi-capable live-cd

On 2014-02-07 21:55, Richard Nelson wrote:
Greetings,

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 10:37 PM, <ninja@cock.li> wrote:

On 2014-02-06 13:36, Richard Nelson wrote:
Greetings,

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 6:31 PM, <ninja@cock.li> wrote:

        In late December I installed a dual-boot system of
Debian
Testing and Windows 7.  Since the Debian installer CD/DVD did not
have
wifi, I had to take the machine over to where I could access a
cable
connection.  I had previously ascertained the wifi card and made
sure to
install the appropriate wifi driver (iwlwifi) on the new system.
        The new system booted successfully and was able to
access wifi.
Wifi performance was irregular.  Installing
"firmware-linux-nonfree"
fixed that problem.
        About a week or two later, Windows died, and died
messily.  I
had to wipe everything, including the Debian partitions and
reinstall.
        I was in a situation where I could only install over
wifi, so I
could not install Debian.  I had to use a Mint 16 DVD I had
on-hand, as
it was able to use wifi on boot, and was then able to install over
wifi.
        So I've been running Mint and Windows.  The system
works all
right, but I now want to replace Mint with Debian.
        This time, I'd like to try Stable instead of Testing.
 Also, I
would like to perform the install over wifi.
        I never found a live CD that also had a Debian
installer on it.
        Then I heard about the Debian Live project.
        After some days of reading the guide & man pages,
combined with
much trial & error, I was able to produce a custom Debian Stable
live CD
image.
        I put this on a USB stuck and it booted fine.  Wow.
 I had, all
by myself, made a live CD.  That was very cool.  I'd never done
anything
like that before.  I felt most triumphant.
        There was only one small problem.  Despite the fact
that I had
packages for drivers & firmware on the live CD, wifi was not
visible.
The usual list of acess points was not shown.  It was as if the
machine
had no wifi card at all.  There was not even a wifi device listed
on a
run of ifconfig.  Something is not right.
        I used this as my ~/my_live_cd/auto/config file:

#!/bin/sh

lb config noauto
  --architectures amd64
  --linux-flavours amd64
  --distribution wheezy
  --archive-areas "main contrib non-free"
  --binary-images iso-hybrid
  --debian-installer netinst --debian-installer-gui true
  --mode debian
        "${@}"

        I used four files in
~/my_live_cd_1/config/package-lists
directory.

* my_list.list (all one one line, but wrapped for email):
iceweasel lvm2 cryptsetup firmware-iwlwifi firmware-linux-nonfree
wireless-tools task-laptop screen worker gparted leafpad nano feh
wifi-radar initramfs-tools irssi scrot alsa sox mhwaveedit
xserver-xorg-video-intel

* put_installer_on_desktoplist.chroot:
debian-installer-launcher

* standard.list.chroot:
! Packages Priority standard

* desktop.list
task-lxde-desktop

        No other files were created or modified manually: a "lb
clean"
"lb config" "lb build" cycle was use for all other changes.
        So... is there something inherent in live-cds that
makes wifi
impossible, regardless of what packages are included?
        Is there something I am overlooking?
        Thank you in advance.

Could you share:

1. Specific wifi card?

2.  The binary.packages file from your build?

Thanks.

Archive:
[🔎] 0c29cda1bd96e17e560a3044cd03a16f@cock.li">http://lists.debian.org/[🔎] 0c29cda1bd96e17e560a3044cd03a16f@cock.li
[1] [1]

Links:
------
[1]
[🔎] 0c29cda1bd96e17e560a3044cd03a16f@cock.li">http://lists.debian.org/[🔎] 0c29cda1bd96e17e560a3044cd03a16f@cock.li [1]

 Thank you for the reply.

Welcome and we will examine more information below.

Also I am moving back to the mailing list since this information may
assist other users.

1. Specific wifi card?

0d:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 7260 (rev
73)
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation Wireless-N 7260
        Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi

2.  The binary.packages file from your build?

<snip>

linux-image-3.2.0-4-amd64       3.2.51-1
linux-image-amd64       3.2+46

</snip>

        Hope that was not too big for a post in a mailing list,
as it was around 30k.

I removed what I did not need and thank you for the complete
information.

Now I could be wrong but I have ran in to a recent issue that is
similar. What I had to do was to move to a more recent kernel which
would support my wifi card.

In Debian testing the version of the linux kernel according to
http://packages.qa.debian.org/l/linux.html [2] would be 3.12.9-1 .
According to
[3]http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-034398.htm [4] for
your wifi card you need

		3.13+
 		iwlwifi-3160-ucode-22.15.8.0.tgz [5]

 		3.10+
 		iwlwifi-3160-ucode-22.1.7.0.tgz [6]

So my best guess (since I am not fully familiar with Ubuntu) is that
the version of Ubuntu had a later kernel and if you look at the kernel
above you are using it is to old to support your card. So you could
try building with

   --distribution jessie

And that I believe would give you a more recent kernel and a better
chance of getting all up and working.

 Hope this information assists.

Links:
------
[1] [🔎] 0c29cda1bd96e17e560a3044cd03a16f@cock.li">http://lists.debian.org/[🔎] 0c29cda1bd96e17e560a3044cd03a16f@cock.li
[2] http://packages.qa.debian.org/l/linux.html
[3] http://packages.debian.org/source/testing/linux
[4] http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-034398.htm
[5]
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/iwlwifi?action=AttachFile&amp;do=get&amp;target=iwlwifi-7260-ucode-22.15.8.0.tgz
[6]
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/iwlwifi?action=AttachFile&amp;do=get&amp;target=iwlwifi-3160-ucode-22.1.7.0.tgz

Thank you for the reply. I'm now attempting to build an image for Jessie/Testing.

p.s. Apparently my replies, up until now, were not going to the list but only to individual posters. Sorry. :o Hopefully I've fixed that.